Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Picnic on Tarpon Belly

I was in the keys and the family had decided to picnic on Tarpon Belly, which is a series of 3 islands with two deep channels in between them. It used to be a fish farm at one time.
One of my co-workers (Michael Lemon) catches the last boat to the island with a commercial fisherman I knew on Summerland. I end up swimming around Summerland Key to the main highway (US1) where I stop by my favorite bait and tackle store. I need to buy some chips for the picnic. I end up paying $3.24 for a small bag of Tostitos scoops. I pay for it with a soaking wet $5 bill (wet from my swim around the island) and am on my way. Somehow, I end up getting a ride with this middle age guy down blimp road to his house. He’s going to loan me his 12 ft Jon boat with a 15 HP Mariner outboard so I can get to the party/picnic on Tarpon Belly. Halfway down the road to his house, we see a puff of smoke. Someone has started a fire in a white 55 gallon drum right on the edge of the road. We just barely make it by without dipping the truck in the water to the right. The gas tank is half full and the boat has water in it. The 3 drawer tackle box in the boat has no clasp to hold the lid to the bottom. I had to grab the tackle box by the bottom and top to lift it out of the boat. Finally I shove off from the dock and start the motor and begin to idle away from the dock. I then hear two kids say they need rides to the local college to take a networking class that I supposedly teach there. I tell them that they’ll have to find their own ride. I bring the boat up on a plane and wake up.

2 comments:

Jeni Q said...

Do you ever dream about something besides water/sailing/boats/fishing?

Sean said...

It's not very often that I don't dream about water/sailing/boating/fishing.

I guess I have a 4 track mind ;)